21.7.11

Zanzibrrr in Three Distinct Movements

Movement Two: Stone Town's End

En route to Prison Island.

Prison Island

I was particularly enamoured with the tortoises on the island. Their eyes would roll back if you scratched their necks.

Prison Island

Prison Island

Prison Island

Prison Island

Prison Island

I spent nearly forty minutes negotiating sharp rocks and an incoming tide to get to this stairwell. My battery died as I got there.I then found a path that lead back to the beach; it was a gentle two minute walk. 

Prison Island

Prison Island

Prison Island

The next three shots were taken while waiting to buy ferry tickets to Tanzania. The had power failed, and the excessively agitated ticket seller shouted over the buzz of a generator and one hundred or so people for me to stop taking photos. His ferry was stupid anyway.

Stone Town

Stone Town

Stone Town

Stone Town

My woman. I was taking photos of the door when it creaked ajar, placing her mild surprise in the center of my lens.

Stone Town

Stone Town

Stone Town

Stone Town

This kid cycled up to me, stopped in my way and wouldn't break eye-contact until I offered him a photo. Shooting strangers can be tricky, so I was glad for the help.

Stone Town

Stone Town

While everyone else indulged a toasty afternoon nap, I went people watching with my 55-200mm. I was really chuffed to get these kids playing through the pier.

Stone Town

Stone Town

His friend told him to flex; he didn't waste any time.

Stone Town

Stone Town

Stone Town

Stone Town

Stone Town

Stone Town

Z-bar was littered with cats. This one considered black plastic a legitimate dietary allowance. Sadly, more then a few looked genuinely haggard.
Stone Town

Stone Town

This guy will break hearts someday. His dad was selling the girls tea-cups while he mustered up a grin for me.
Stone Town

Stone Town

Coffee and ginger tea shots we sold on the corners for around 50 cents a cup. The coffee gave true meaning to the ditty 'Black Gold'.
Stone Town

Stone Town

Stone Town

A kitten found in the antechamber of a fabric shop. He and his two friends were well looked-after.
Stone Town

Jono bought second hand bowling shoes. Enigmatic.
Stone Town

Another child just pumped to be in the photo.
Stone Town

Stone Town

Stone Town

Stone Town

Stone Town

Tinted by my sunglasses.
Stone Town

Each evening the local hoods somersaulted their local flavour of parkour.

Stone Town

Stone Town

In the middle is Chi-Chi, our Rastafarian friend. He made sure we paid the right amounts and got to where we needed to be. It was great having him with us.
Stone Town


Stone Town

All the photos are on Flickr, should you be interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment